F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I just received a general form of judgement, without being

Customer Question

Hi , i just received a general form of judgement , without being notified when about the case will be disputed. Is written that the defendants not attending. Can i have an advice please?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Are you the claimant or the defendant?

May we have the background detail and what it is that you want to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Defendant . Money claim , I've done some building work , client had problems with money , I need to stop . Now I received the form of judgement claiming the full amount of money back . Is there any step I can take ? I spoke with the county court , letting them know that I changed my adress twice , they confirmed that . But I haven't received a notice /call/email about the trial at all. Just suddenly I received the result . Are the post recorded by the county court ? Any advice will help. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See the pic attached
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

It sounds as though the claimant applied to court and you failed to respond to the papers and hence they got default judgement against you.

If you maintain that you don’t owe the money or there is an argument over whether you owe the money and you didn’t get the papers because of moving address and if you have a reasonable defence then you need to apply to court to have the judgement set aside.

The court form you need is N244 and the fee is £255.

Here are details https://www.gov.uk/county-court-judgments-ccj-for-debt/if-you-dont-owe-the-money

This does not get rid of the whole matter, it just puts it in abeyance pending a court hearing trial when you will put your side and the claimant will put their side and the judge will decide who wins and who loses.

If you are ordered to pay any money, you must pay it within the timescales specified in any court order otherwise the judgement will be registered and rinse your credit history. Provided you do pay within the timescales specified in the order, does not get registered against. If you ask for time to pay any judgement, it will appear as a judgement even if you stick to that payment schedule.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps me greatly.

Best wishes.

FES.