How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10118
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I am going to retire and hands the reins of my business over

This answer was rated:

I am going to retire and hands the reins of my business over to a colleague. My accountant has advised that we need to draw up a Heads of Agreement. This would guarantee me a pension/salary in my retirement. I know that i need a commercial lawyer to help draw this up. I have an outline from the accountant which gives the structure he has suggested. What should i expect to pay for this? Thank you, jacki

This is going to be quite a specialised document and hence, it needs to be done properly and it’s not something that I would suggest that you tried to do yourself. It’s not something that we could do for you on here unfortunately because of the potential complexities.

What you need to consider is what happens if things go wrong? What happens if the business closes or is no longer profitable cannot sustain paying you?

Is there going to be any spouses payment (usually 50%). Are you going to be required to do any work at all either in the short term after retirement in the long term? Suppose you either don’t want to or are incapable.

So what you need to consider is exactly what’s going to happen when things go wrong. You don’t need an agreement when everything goes right, only when it goes wrong.

A high street solicitor would probably charge between £500 and £1000 plus VAT for drawing up the necessary retirement and ongoing payment deed. It’s unlikely you would get it for less than that because there is a lot of work involved although you may find that some solicitors may charge double that. At least you know the kind of money that you should be looking at.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It doesn’t cost you extra but helps me greatly. We can still exchange email.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will rate you now but may come back with a further questions. best jacki