75100385

My question is about shoplifting can you help me please

Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was stopped for shoplifting at my local asda I put stuff in bags but I forgot to empty the bags at checkout a they have me on CCTV but don't believe iiforgot. The police came yesterday and because I denied doing iit intentionally he said I have to make a statement at the station and then probably prosecuted in court. I have never rbeen in trouble before. I am 45 a mother of two. It seems dammed iif I do and damned if I dotn. My health cannot take a court procedure and want to know will it end immediately iif I said it wasn't a deliberate mistake. I am so scared and my chi!dren need me back to the way I was. Please help me. Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

What is the value of the goods please?

Do you have any previous for anything?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
163;180 but I think that may include the £63 I paid for the shop or it may not I can't be etsin I don't even remember what the items are and no I don't have any previous for anything.
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Ok. I would not be too concerned. At most I think they would offer you a caution given it is low value and because you do not have any previous. But for that you would have to admit the offence.

However in any event the Police would have to show that you were dishonest and had an intention to deprive ASDA of the goods.

You did not - you were not being dishonest, you simply forgot. Therefore you are not guilty of an offence.

So I do not think you need to worry, I think you could be offered a caution.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I fear if I go to court tt could lead to prosecution and a fine and I want to avoid that also because theccctv is nor ready until Tuesday tje police dont want me in before the 18 th August as I said ii will go in on a Sunday and that is when he is next available can I admit before the CCTV is ready anf walk into the station and see somebody else of he isn't available or call him
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Yes I understand. As I have said if you just forgot its not an offence. But even if it were I think you would be offered a caution.

Its rare for something of this value and with someone who has no previous to go to Court.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thank you but I am willing to admit if this will end as soon as I have done so. Also will they have to come to my house or can I go there. Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

You can go there. But I would stay away from ASDA.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have been banned. Can I just walk in and see anybody about it. Is it just a verbal telling off and will it be over then?
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

If its a caution then yes, just a verbal telling off........

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you do much are you avuk solicitor should have asked that first
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Yes England and Wales.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you and please can I go do it now or should ii call the policeman who came to my house
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

I would wait.........

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't understand
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Wait until they contact you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK thank you I will hold my hands up when they call me in then but I didn't want this hanging over me
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Of course. Good luck and I wouldnt worry.

If I could just invite you to rate my answer. ALex

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Of course can't thank you enough
Expert:  Ash replied 12 months ago.

Thanks. All the very best. Alex