How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was a director of a small ltd which was dissolved by

Customer Question

I was a director of a small ltd which was dissolved by companies house May 2016.
I have now personally received a county court claims form for £370 for goods received. I have been named as the defendant.
The credit agreement was in the Ltd name as was the invoice. I signed credit agreement in my capacity as director but it is clearly in the company name without any personal guarantees.
When the company was going through a difficult time I was personally and was receiving counselling for PTSD, depression, anxiety and suicidal tendencies. I stupidly paid some of the money personally to the supplier but I never had invoice reassigned to me and credit agreement remained with Ltd company.
I defended claim form saying I shouldn't be named on it as I am not personally liable.
Supplier have now said they want it to go to small claims court. I can't afford this money. The claim form is the first time they came to me personally to request the money.
What do I do?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, there is no contractual link between you and the contracting party, save for the fact you were a director?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No contractual link. Only that I paid some of the invoice personally as so stressed by it. Would that prejudice it? The invoice was never reassigned to me.
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

Then you just file a defence saying there was no contract between you and the the Claimant.

The contract was with the company and you did not have a personal guarantee.

That is it - hopefully the Judge will strike it out before it goes to trial

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did send in the defence to that effect was sent a questionnaire as was the supplier who refused mediation and opted to go straight to small claims court.
Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

Ok - thats fine. The matter will be case managed and set down for a hearing.

But you dont need to worry - unless you signed a contract saying you are personally liable then you are not.

But a Judge will allocate the matter to a small claim and COULD strike it out at that stage.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Expert:  Ash replied 10 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice