12826847

I have received a NIP yesterday dated 25/07/16 for speeding

I have received a NIP yesterday dated 25/07/16 for speeding 82 mph in 70 limit on A3M Guildford on 10/06/16 , I was a free loan car from my garage and the garage phoned me a few days later to tell mean 14/06/16. As several weeks have past and theSurrey had clearly been informed, am I liable? Pls advise, thank you ********@******.**************
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As the Surrey Police have taken so long , approx 6 weeks , am I still liable to prosecution ? I understood that 14 days was the maximum they could take?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Were you speeding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
82 in 70 limit
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I presume you are not the registered keeper of the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the garage who were servicing my car loaned me a car free of charge for the day
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but its bad news. Unfortunately the rules are that they must send out a NIP on a date that would by ordinary post reach the registered keeper within fourteen days. When it reaches the actual driver is a non issue.

Since you are not the registered keeper you do not have that protection. The police will have sent the original NIP to the keeper probably within fourteen days and they replied naming you as the driver. Sadly they are still in time.

Obviously you could wait to see if they remember to summons you. They do quite often forget and if they do you will walk away within nothing.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information