F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My mother is in a EMI unit in a local care home. The home is

My mother is in a EMI unit in a local care home. The home is good also the staff. Except there never seems to be enough staff. My question is what is the ratio of staff to residents? I have taken this up with management, they say 1 staff to 8 residents but there are 2double handlers on the unit so the 2 staff have to care for them. So who is looking after the remaining 12 residents? Several of them need assistance going to the loo.There is a floating senior on the unit but she has by definition to go to other units.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Ignoring the number of staff, what problems is this causing for your mother? How long has your mother been in the unit for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. This is not the question I asked.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You asked the question about the ratio of staff which I will answer for you but I want to give you a complete advice rather than just one sentence.

That is why I asked for the extra information to see what you can do about this

Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

There are only guidelines from the Care Quality Commission which are here

http://www.cqc.org.uk/content/regulation-18-staffing#guidance

it simply says that there must be “sufficient numbers”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. That's exactly what I needed to know. I have meet with the care provider Senior. And the manager of the home has given me a question air to fill in and
return to the inspectorate. So I am waiting to hear from them.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to help. Please let me know the outcome.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.

FES