I have recently had my house rewired, the person involved

Customer Question

I have recently had my house rewired, the person involved was recomended by a friend. We wanted sockets raised, the electricity box in the corner of the living room needed to be rearranged so I could have a carpenter come in and make it look neat , wiring externally in sheds and security lighting. The man, his name is ***** ***** we had a complete rewire as our wiring was nearly forty years old. He gave us a verbal quote and told us he would give a certificate to say the wiring was done for our records. I was expecting a written quote at a later date. He asked us to clear as much stuff out of his way as possible. So we got a self storage unit and worked at clearing his work area as much as possible. We had a holiday planned and decided that that would be the best time to have the work done. It was all a bit of a rush. Once away on holiday I realised we didn't have a written quote. When We came home I was horrified at what this man had done , I phoned him and told him so. He told us that his plasterer said the electric box was to much work and that Niall shouldn't do it. That I would to get my electricity provider to do it. I told him that that had been included in the price he told us. There were other issues and I was extremely upset and emotional. Which I know doesn't help. I am Kicking my self for being so stupid. He fixed one of our problems. I felt happy that the work was done and accepted what he said about the metre cupboard. I very stupidly paid him. When I went to put some rubbishy in my bin I couldn't move it as he had filled it with rubbish and rubble. I had to clear the bin and go to the tip. I was still waiting for my list of works and my certificate. A couple of weeks later I went up into the loft to see about bringing things back from storage. We had our loft insulated a few years ago and boarded out . The electrician had pulled the insulation out pulled the boards up and not put anything back in place. There are wires stickining out of boards and we don't know what goes where and may need to get the loft done again. I take responsibility for being too trusting and stupid. I phoned him again yesterday he was actually in Greece on holiday and that is all he could say. We ended up having a row he informed he is taking my number of his phone. I need the paper work and certificate. Is there any thing I can do.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long ago was this work carried out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We went on holiday on July 2nd to the 9th. The work was carried out while we Wre away.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:
• Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);
• Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and
• Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).

In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:

1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.

3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader.

So if there are remedial works required and the original electrician either does not want to resolve these or you have completely lost any trust in them, you can get someone else to resolve these. You could then pursue the original one for these costs although there is a risk you may not get anything back. Still if that is the only option you have then you may as well try to go down that route and try to keep any claim below £10k ao that it at least goes in the small claims court where the risks are relatively low.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow should you decide to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much . We failed in negotiations.This man thinks I am being abusive when I tell that I am unhappy with his work. I have phoned him twice the first time I was in tears when I saw the work he had done. The second time he kept telling he was on holiday in Greese, calling me honey. I told him I was paying for that holiday. Which made very angry. I told him I was going to trading standards. So we are at an impass. I feel that I should have been more diplomatic, as now I can't get him come and put things right. He has text me, and I told him that I didn't want to argue. That I needed him to come and sought this job out. He said it's to late for that and will wait for trading standards.

The issue is that you cannot force him to come back and resolve the issues. You may have not been as diplomatic as you would have wanted to be but that does not mean he escapes any liability. He is still required to try and resolve this, or if he refuses, then you could potentially make him liable for the costs of getting someone else to do this. So if you are at an impasse then you could just go and start taking the more formal steps of getting the ball rolling.

Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you