29905560

I purchased a stamp collection for a considerable amount of

Customer Question

Greetings, I purchased a stamp collection for a considerable amount of money. Subsequently, I have come to realise that I did overpay for it and I am seriously thinking of returning it. There is no formal agreement between me and seller that the sale is irrevocable. Can I return the collection? Regards
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi there. Thank you for your request for a phone call. I am unable to talk at the moment as I am in court until the end of the day. Please could you tell me how long ago you bought the collection and whether this was online or in person. I will then review the relevant information and laws and get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message after you have provided the information as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. No worry re the call. I bought the collection from seller directly about a month ago. Best

Many thanks for your patience. Sadly there is not always an automatic right to return a purchase and get a refund and I will explain the legal position in each possible case.

If you were a private consumer and bought this from a business seller at a distance (eg online or on the phone) then you will have the right to an automatic 14 day returns period, no questions asked. If you bought this in person or in a shop then you have no right to a refund and only get this right if the seller offers it.

If you were a private consumer and bought it from a private seller then you have no right to a refund unless you can show that the item was misdescribed, in other words you were misled into what you were buying. For example in a stamp collection, you were told that certain stamps were included that were actually not.

If you were a business buyer buying from a private seller or a business one, then you have no automatic right to a refund, unless you can again show that the sale was misrepresented.

So in all circumstances, at this stage you will only be able to return this either if the seller accepted the return, or you can show that it was clearly misrepresented, such as by providing you with a false description.

You can approach them over this and see if you can agree on a return but if they refuse then your only option is potential legal action.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you can take if you decide to proceed further with this, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance as promised, or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.