29905560

I have recently been dismissed from the Scout Association as

I have recently been dismissed from the Scout Association as a volunteer leader. These were on safeguarding grounds, according to my final letter. There has been a 7 month investigation, but never was any of my evidence acted upon.
I was initially suspended on Jan 22nd and I had a meeting on 15th February. I was only informed of this on 12th February. I was able to give my evidence here, but it was never investigated.
Since recieveing this final letter, I believe that this has been an unfair investigation and the outcome is based on false details.
If I wanted to speak with a solicitor in more detail about this, which type of solicitor would I talk to e.g. (employment, family etc?)
Mike
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. This would be an employment issue because even though you are a volunteer it is still an employment-related issue. The problem is that as a volunteer you do not really have rights against unfair dismissal. So in effect you can be dismissed for more or less any reason even if it is based on incorrect or false grounds. The rules on fairness in dismissal situations only apply to employees, those working as an employee under a contract of employment. As a volunteer you are not treated as an employee so would not have protection against unfair dismissal in the circumstances. You can of curse complain internally to the organisation but if your appeal is rejected there would be no legal remedy.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ben,No - i'd much rather an honest answer than chasing wild gooses. It's a very frustraiting circumstance, as I am a teacher, so a Safeguarding dismissal from them could be detrimental. I would have no issue with them doing it, if it was a true account that they were giving as their reason.Many thanks.
Have a good weekend
Mike

Many thanks and all the best