12826847

My Tunisian husband is here since 1/3/16 on a spouse visa.I

Customer Question

My Tunisian husband is here since 1/3/16 on a spouse visa.I reported him on 4 counts of assault.he went to court next morning and he has bail until court 25/8/16. I want to withdraw the complaint,but I think the police will go ahead, even though I said on at least 5 occaidions"I don't want him arrested,just spoken to". If the police go ahead ehst I'd the likely sentence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

have you done this before?

Either in this relationship or in others?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just remembered.my husband of over 20 yrs ago was convicted of common assualt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The difference is,I had left previous husband.this one I want to stay with
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm about to go to police to withdraw statement.police say they will probably go ahead anyway.I have fragile mental health.I need my husband home.bail conditions means no contact.I have anxiety and depression and can't sleep without him here.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So when did you last call the police to a domestic squabble apart from this time?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So when did you last call the police to a domestic squabble?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over 20 yrs ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
things hsvr changed they don't regard it ad s "squabble" they tskr it very seriously.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

And that was the only time? No other calls to family rows at all? Even involving other relatives.

I would be quite surprised if they even have a record of a row twenty years ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say I have yo wait till Tues because the officer dealing with the case is off.but she had previously said they can go ahead without me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Oh yes, they will probably. They have a policy of summonsing essentially because so many complainants are wasting their time although actually you don't seem to be a candidate.

What did you allege on this occasion? What did you say happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 counts of assault and verbal abuse
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is the common assault?

What is suppose to have happened?

Verbal abuse is a non issue. That is just a relationship issue. That is not to say it is acceptable but it is not a police matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pushing and grabbing resulting in bruising
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Threatening with fist( although not using it)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The reality is that they could summons you. That is their current policy.

That said, they do not in every case. You do have a bit of history but it is very minimal and I would be surprised if they even knew about that other report.

These allegations are large in number but not the worst assaults.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The reality is that they know you are reluctant now anyway so there is nothing that can be done about it. It might have been better not to alert them to the fact but that can't be undone now.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If you have told them you are reluctant you may as well make a retraction statement in the hope that it is effective.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If they will not move on that point then you will have to decide whether you are going to answer the summons or not.

However, they are very unlikely to allow him to return home until the matter is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the likely punishment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We reapply for his visa in 2 years and I'm worried hell be refused,but he's due s holiday hone in September,will he be allowed back in the country?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I don't do immigration or visa work. He wouldn't be subject to automatic deportation as he will not get long enough.

However, it is fair to say that this report probably has disadvantaged him.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You have to get more than 12 months to be subject to automatic deportation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the police said probably non custodial,but do you have any idea what he could get?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I would imagine it probably would be non custodial.

That doesn't mean it isn't a disadvantage and also will be used against you if you have children who come to the attention of social services for other reasons.

I would have expected a low level community order.

It is the potential impact on his immigration status that is the issue and the long term impact.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about his holiday in September,could he be prevented from coming back into the UK?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I don't do immigration or visa work.