Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If the land you own as a Freeholder, has communal gardens

If the land you own as a Freeholder, has communal gardens shared between Leaseholders for their enjoyment along with rights over paths and driveways, does the Freeholder have rights to alter layout of lawned area and paths within the plot ?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. The Freeholder will indeed be entitled to alter the layout of any communal areas, as he is the owner and the Leaseholders merely have a right to use the gardens. Provided the Freeholder does not restrict the rights the Leaseholders have under their Lease (ie the right to use and have the benefit of the gardens), then he is free to maintain/improve/alter the communal gardens. He couldn't, however, reduce the size of the gardens. I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al

Can I assist you any further? Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel you have answered my question thank you.