How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2739
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner has sold her house and is buying another she

Customer Question

my partner has sold her house and is buying another she wants to protect an interest for myself to remain in the property in the event of her death, I can buy into the property but this would leave me short on funds, she understands this problem and is happy to purchase the house in her owe name but I need some protection should she die can you advise
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are tou married to each other?

-Does she have a will in place?

-Does she have any children?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
we are not married, she does have children, and we both have wills in place
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have an apartment which once I leave will take some time to find what I want in the event of my partners death, so we both agreed I need some protection, I'm not ;looking to gain anything in cash terms from this transaction but a home until I can find an an alternative place to live
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
have you received all of this as the site seems dead
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. In the event of your partner's death, she can include a provision in the will that you can use the property for whatever period to meet your housing needs, and in these circumstances the property itself can be bequeathed to anyone else.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello Harris,
Thanks for you answer to my question, can this be added to the will as an additional written document by my partner and signed by her and witnessed by a solicitor.I understand that this question comes with my payment made
Thank you.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do not understand you are telling me to continue until i'm satisfied so I have asked a question connected to my first question but you require a further payment sorry I can't do that
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

That's ok, no further payment is required. As this will likely be viewed as a major change to the will it is better to have the original will amended.