Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My neighbour built a large fence along the boundary 1 metre

My neighbour built a large fence along the boundary 1 metre into my property this was done more than 10 years ago when does this extra land lawfully become mine
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. If you have "acquired" land for 10 years or more, without dispute, you can apply to the Land Registry for "possessory title" of the land. So, provided there was no agreement between you and your neighbour 10 years ago, that the boundary fence did NOT represent the true boundary line/there was no form of agreement that the fence would be moved back into its "correct position" at some stage, you are free to make this application now. There is a set Form to complete so you should consult a local Conveyancing Solicitor to assist you with this. I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position. If I have helped, please don't forget to rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Hi, if I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Thanks Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are quoting that my neighbour built a fence 1 metre into my property .this is not what I said
He put the fence 1 metre away from border into his land thus giving me an extra 1 metre of land can you please modify your answer to reflect this

Hi, I have answered your question as if you have acquired the land, so you are free to claim this land which used to be within your neighbour's land, on the basis that it is and has been within the boundary of your property for 10 years. Kind Regards Al