Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I had a quite expensive rug badly ruined by my dry-cleaner,

I had a quite expensive rug badly ruined by my dry-cleaner, what can I do?
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have you informed the dry cleaner and asked for compensation?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The dry cleaner called me to collect my rug at 4:30 (closing at 5), I went, paid, collect the carpet and once home I unfold the rug to discover the damage, so, no I haven't done anything, I am planning a visit first thing Monday morning
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 months ago.

If they have caused damage then they are liable in breach of contact and also in negligence. 'They will have insurance to cover such eventualities.

You should show them the damage and ask them to replace the rug. If they refuse then you should inform them you will contact Trading Standards and you will bring a claim for the value of the rug, which you can do on the moneyclaim.gov website very easily.

I would imagine this will be resolved simply as they will not want a bad reputation.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The problem is that this is an original Danish design carpet from 1960 very difficult to replace and quite valuable. I would be happy if I can find someone specialised in rug and get it repaired,, do I have any chance to do that?
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 months ago.

Yes, you can ask for it to be repaired in those circumstances and the same principles apply as stated above.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
perfect, thank you
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 months ago.

No problem.

In reality you may need to source the repair and claim the cost of that. You would have to demonstrate that it is not replaceable if it is extremely costly (but this should not be too difficult to do).

You should also check any written terms to see if there is any limit of liability.

Thank you for the rating and all the best with it.