75100385

I understand that there is a panel or a civil body that

Hi I understand that there is a panel or a civil body that deals with disputes over cost of your own solicitor. In short i engaged a solicitor in a large firm. I agreed the total fee of £6000 pounds. He asked for monthly payments which I agreed and paid two monthly payments totalling £1500 pounds. I then got an e-mail from the senior partner of the firm saying the solicitor dealing with my case had been asked to leave and all his cases would be reallocated. I do not know why he was asked to leave but the email said something to the effect that he had not maintained the standards expected.Anyway my case is quite specialised and they could not come up with a replacement quickly (to be honest i didn't give them much time ) as it concerns the sale of a dental practice with involvement of CQC and NHS area teams, the General Dental council rules as well as the normal factors in the sale of a business. In any event I found a new firm my self and engaged them. I asked the old firm for a break down of the charges that I had already paid for and requested a refund of the difference. I sent two email and oe letter to be signed for. No reply that was over 6 months ago. I remember that there is a panel or something other than the legal ombudsman where solicitor fees can be assessed but I can't quite remember the correct terminology.
can you help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
When was the bill please? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From memory i paid £750 in Dec 2015 and another £750 Jan 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry Jan 2016
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - then you have a right under Solicitors Act 1974 to have the bill assessed by the Court.

The Court will set the matter down and decide whether each item of work was needed, the length of time appropriate and grade of fee earner correct.

Therefore you can apply to Court to have the bill subject to detailed assessment by a Judge

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the bill was raise at the end of Nov 2015
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sure. Please see above. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the correct terminology for this assessment so that i can advice the firm that i will take this action unless they respond
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

That you will be seeking detailed assessment by the Court under the Solicitors Act 1974

That is all you need to say.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thank you for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex