12826847

I've just gone through a divorce, our home has to be sold

Customer Question

Hi, I've just gone through a divorce, our home has to be sold 50/50. Initially the amount the estate agent advised didn't sell, so my ex wife demanded we drop the price by £15,000, which I did, We had an offer, but some months later the buyer pulled out through i'll health. My ex wife is now threatening me with legal action if I don't drop the price another £10,000, the house has only been on the market since November 2015, and for 3 months was under offer, so is back on the market at £239,950 since the end of June 2017. Can my ex wife keep forcing me to drop the price until it sell,s?. I cannot get a mortgage because of my age (58) and am only on low income from my part time job. She, however, can obtain a mortgage (she being only 38) I need to be able to buy a flat without mortgage to be able to afford to live.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've completed a house comparable check in my area as this is what her solicitor is threatening me and the estate agent with to reduce the price again. The nearest property in my area which is on the market at £220,595 is a semi detached 2 bedroom bungalow as ours is, but I've paid for a new garage, solar panel installation and new double glazed window's. This other property hasn't any of that. So, that's my argument for leaving the price at the current and agreed value especially as the Brexit vote seems to have unstabled the market for the present time. But no, she want's her money and it seems at any reduced cost. If I were to sell my car to pay for a solicitor to fight my cause, would I win?. I don't want to sell my car as I need to get to work, also if I lose the case I'm being threatened with having to pay all cost's as well. If this happens I will be homeless, that just doesn't seem fair in any way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re 1st paragraph: delete June 2017, replace with June 2016.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Was the financial settlement approved in a court order, if so can you please attach it using the paperclip icon above?