31090051

I have today received a letter from a head hunting firm

I have today received a letter from a head hunting firm (Celtic Research) stating that I 'may' be an heir to my grandparents estate. Both my grandparents died over 35 years ago and were not wealthy people by any means. I find this extremely suspect, especially as the firm will claim 20% plus VAT on the estate I supposedly inherit.
Would you have any comment, suggestion, or advice to make on this please ?
Alwyn Burnell
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You are right to be cautious about this and you should perhaps consider the information you know yourself so that you can make an informed decision about this. Grandparents are relatively recent "ancestors". Do you have parents you can ask about this? Aunts or uncles? Are there cousins of your that might have similar rights? Do your family know about the circumstances of your grandparents life and their circumstances on death? Once you have done this you may want to approach the heir hunters and ask them the extent of the estate they have uncovered and why they think you are entitled. You could also approach the government direct and ask if there is any unclaimed estate led in the names of either grandparent. Any unclaimed estate would end up with the crown and it is easy enough to access those records nowadays. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you know for your reply. It sort of covers most of what I was already considering, but good to have it confirmed. Would you have any idea which government department would hold this list of estates ? I'm guessing it would be a public document which is where they could conceivably got the details of my grandparents and myself. Oddly though this would suggest that there is an estate of sorts out there.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Unclaimed estates are called bona vacantia and are administered by the Treasury in England and by Crown Office in Scotland. Assuming you are in England here is a link you can use: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/unclaimed-estates-list

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Time to dig out the deer stalker and pipe............
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.