How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Would a private landlord be responsible for criminal damage

Resolved Question:

would a private landlord be responsible for criminal damage against my property caused by his tenants?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

Could you explain the situation here a little more please?

F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8445
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was away for the weekend and a neighbor informed me by phone that my ten foot high garden brick wall had been seriously damaged as well as my expensive garden furniture; by the tenants next door during a house party. My neighbor took the name of the perpetrator but i'm not sure if its his real name. The police have been informed and they told its criminal damage which they will investigate. If the perpetrator has not given his real name would the landlord be liable?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have had no response to my first question.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

I said that I would confirm what we spoke about.

The police would deal with this for you and if the person has given a bogus name, they should pursue the other tenants and partygoers to get the correct name.

It might take some time but that should be the case.

If the police abandon it, you potentially have 3 defendants.

The bogus defendant if you have a correct name, the named tenants from next door and the landlord.

Using the “but for” test, then block for the landlord allowing these unwholesome tenants into the property, your property would not have been damaged.

If you threaten the landlord with civil proceedings as a co-defendant with the tenant and Mr anonymous, he maybe more forthcoming with the identity of the tenants.

It would be worthwhile having a quiet word with him first telling him what’s happened and asking for the names of the tenants. I would also give him the crime number and tell him that the police are looking at this because the last thing he may want the police coming round to his property.

If ultimately he is unhelpful, you can apply to court for a court order called “pre-action disclosure” which is a court order to make the tenant. If threatening any court proceedings, give a deadline before which they can reply to avoid proceedings.

Once you have all the details, you can if you proceedings with Mr anonymous as first defendant, the named tenants as second defendant, and the landlord as third defendant.

If you proceedings against Mr anonymous you are going to have to find out who he is and where he lives. Best wishes.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice