Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a private water supply pipe shared with neighbours in

I have a private water supply pipe shared with neighbours in my name 2 of the properties are named in the legal agreement took out when we got water Inot 1973,1 other property was put on at later dateam with no paper work,the person has died and it is being put on market can I say they have to get their own water supply
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. I regret to say that you won't be able to now state that these neighbours have now to get their own water supply. This is because the doctrine of estoppel prevents you from resiling from the representation that your neighbour could use the water supply. As your neighbour has relied to his detriment upon your representation made as long ago as 1973 (and one at a later date) the law does not allow you to resile from the making of this representation that they can use this water supply. In essence the law creates a form of legal restraint from allowing you to now require them to get their own water supply.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.