31090051

A listed building is falling into serious condition, owner

Customer Question

A listed building is falling into serious condition, owner not attending to repairs etc what can be done?
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

Have you tried contacting Historic England and explaining the difficulties you have had with the local conservation office? If not that might be the way forward as well as contacting your local MP about this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My question was in relation to the legalities and what the local authority's power is in these situations.
They are there to protect listed building is that correct and is there recourse if they don't?
Expert:  JGM replied 11 months ago.

With respect that wasn't your question. Your question was "owner not attending to repairs, what can be done?" A local authority can serve an enforcement notice but you as a member of the public can't make them do that. My answer makes a suggestion as to how you can proceed now.