F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I was accused publicly on Facebook of calling a relations

Customer Question

I was accused publicly on Facebook of calling a relations children Bastards at the time I was speaking to my daughter who suffers from sciziphrenia and she said to me mum because your not married does that mean technicaly I'm a bastard I said no your a love child this was on the 3rd June my daughter using another account came across a statement saying wot do you think of 2christian women calling my children Bastards and she said all comments welcome the next thing we were getting called retards evil people and a lot of other things I didn't call her children Bastards I said to my daughter your a love child but I could name you a few this is an ongoing family row but this was posted public and people were invited to give there opinion
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wot can i do can i file a complaint against her in court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter was called a retard and so was i this was thrown out to the public I am very distressed by this everyone who is this persons friends called us names that r not pc
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

The word bastard has 2 connotations in the English language. One is the illegitimate meaning and the other one is the vernacular and derogatory meaning.

The normal meaning from my little pocket dictionary is “child born of unmarried parents”.

On a literal translation therefore, even if you said this, it cannot be derogatory.

However the phrase retard is without a doubt derogatory.

I don’t know how you complain to Facebook to get this removed if they will remove it but it’s worthwhile trying.

My suggestion would be to get a solicitor to write threatening an application to court for an injunction to make her remove the post and substantial legal costs against her if she doesn’t remove it voluntarily.

Hopefully, (usually the case) these matters resolve without the need for court proceedings which could be potentially expensive.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you the police said it wasn't a criminal offence but when i phoned a solicitor and got u r answer I know it is
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Can I clarify anything else for you?