13262538

Can you please advise me on a dispute over ownership of a

Customer Question

Hello Can you please advise me on a dispute over ownership of a family pet. I was in a relationship with my ex partner when we adopted a rescue dog. My partner and I never lived together but he signed the adoption papers under my then current address, I can prove he was registered at his parents address. I went up to Scotland to receive treatment and asked him to look after the dog. Initially on my return I asked his parents to take the dog permanently and both of them refused. Approximately 24/48 hours later they changed their mind. I was in contact with my ex to arrange access and he and his parents agreed that I could have the dog whenever I wanted. They have now gone back on their word. So I have now changed my mind and I want my dog back. Where do I stand legally and what should be my next steps be? Thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you although I fear that the news that I have is not good.

However strongly we feel about our pets the law simply views them as property.

The fact that your ex signed the Adoption papers means that legally the dog is his property in any event - the address issue is sadly not relevant.

In addition you gave up any further claim you might have had when you asked his parents to have the dog and they eventually accepted.

I am sorry - I appreciate that this is devastating for you but sadly I have no better news that I can give you

Please ask if you need further details