12826847

In 2005 I bought a house with a partner 160,000 mortgage

Customer Question

In 2005 I bought a house with a partner 160,000 mortgage with a 30,000 loan to run along side which was used to pay 5% deposit on the house consolidate both of our outstanding loans and to furnish the house, in 2012 we split and went our separate ways, at the time we made a mutual agreement that she would take the house on as her job was there, the house was in negative equity so didn't make sense to sell and incur further financial burden, I asked to be removed from the mortgage but to this day I have not been. Between 2009-2012 when we split I had a gambling problem which lead to further loans and some credit cards maxing out which the majority of I took on when we split, I also took on a 15,000 loan which was for a kitchen extension on the house this was in my name as my partner did not have credit or credit score. All in all I incurred approx 34,000 of debt. My ex partner has finally recently decided to try and get my name removed from the mortgage but says it is not so easy due to the loan running along side the mortgage. I have really only just started to get on top of my 34,000 debt now only oweing 14,000 but am worried she is now going to try and dump half of the 26,000 still outstanding onto me. She threatens that she has spoken to a solicitor about how I used her savings to gamble and that if she were to go down that route she could end my military career and I would end up oweing her thousands. I haven't contributed to the house for 4 years now but I guess my question would be do I have any entitlement to compensation for the 7 years I did pay half into the house approx 40,000 and for the 15,000 kitchen that I am still paying for.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the house currently worth?