Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have question regarding a tenancy related issue: I rent a

I have question regarding a tenancy related issue:
I rent a flat in London since March 2015. In March 2016 I renewed my tenancy agreement for another 12months. There is no break clause in my tenancy agreement.
A month ago my girlfriend who does not live in London found work opportunities in London, therefore we decided to move together. My current flat is too small for both of us, so we decided to move to bigger flat together.At the beginning of the referencing process for the new flat I contacted my current landlord to explain politely my personal circumstances, our intention and the fact that we will move out after 1.5 months to allow enough time for a new tenant to be found.
The landlord was unreasonably frustrated to the point that she is not answering the phone calls from the referencing company and making the whole referencing process difficult for me and my girlfriend.
I would appreciate any advice on how I could go about this issue.
Thank you in advance.
Kyriakos
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kyriakos, thanks for your enquiry. As you signed a 12 month Tenancy, you are legally bound for the full length of the Tenancy- it is basically a Contract between you and the Landlord and neither of you are legally entitled to end it early. Accordingly, you have agreed to pay the full rent for the 12 months. However, most Landlords are happy to end a Tenancy early, PROVIDED the Tenant carries on paying the rent until a new Tenant has been found and also agrees to pay any admin fees incurred by the Landlord in finding the new Tenant. This is, therefore, the best you can hope for. However, the Landlord does not have to agree to this and it does sound that she is not the most co-operative. You therefore need to appeal to her good nature and hope that she acts reasonably. You could of course just tell her that if she does not agree, you will vacate anyway, but if you do this, you will lose any deposit you have paid and you run the risk of her pursuing you for the loss of rent, so this course of action is not advisable. I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position. If I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards ***** ***** luck, Al

Hi, if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer, so I may get credited for my time. Thanks Al