Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I seperated from my wife 15 years ago when I left I took 23k

I seperated from my wife 15 years ago when I left I took 23k in savings left the house to her with the mortgage of about 72000 however when I was still there we put 10000 on our mortgage for our joint business ( which was a care home this no longer exits )
My wife is know saying I need to pay her back the 10000 pounds we borrowed for our business that's on the mortgage
Our house then was worth about 130k know about 220
Should I pay this money to her ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a court approved financial settlement as part of the divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are still married just seperated -we ran a care home together when we seperated she left went to work else where she earns a good salary however she took approx 300/400 out of business each month until last 12 months
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Firstly, it is your decision whether you pay her the requested amount or not. However, Given that you have been separated for 15 years and there is a property with approximately £148,000 equity you would be well advised to consider seeking a financial settlement and a divorce.

During negotiations for a financial settlement, or if a court application is pursued, you would need to consider all matrimonial assets as part of the settlement and to assist you further I would need more details. However, her demand would appear unreasonable given that she has the benefit of living in the home herself to your exclusion.

-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

In the meantime if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.