Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I seperated from my wife 15 years ago when I left I took 23k

I seperated from my wife 15 years ago when I left I took 23k in savings left the house to her with the mortgage of about 72000 however when I was still there we put 10000 on our mortgage for our joint business ( which was a care home this no longer exits )
My wife is know saying I need to pay her back the 10000 pounds we borrowed for our business that's on the mortgage
Our house then was worth about 130k know about 220
Should I pay this money to her ?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a court approved financial settlement as part of the divorce?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are still married just seperated -we ran a care home together when we seperated she left went to work else where she earns a good salary however she took approx 300/400 out of business each month until last 12 months
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Firstly, it is your decision whether you pay her the requested amount or not. However, Given that you have been separated for 15 years and there is a property with approximately £148,000 equity you would be well advised to consider seeking a financial settlement and a divorce.

During negotiations for a financial settlement, or if a court application is pursued, you would need to consider all matrimonial assets as part of the settlement and to assist you further I would need more details. However, her demand would appear unreasonable given that she has the benefit of living in the home herself to your exclusion.

-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

In the meantime if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.