12826847

I am taking someone to small claims court as he owes me

Customer Question

I am taking someone to small claims court as he owes me money for a bailiffs bill I paid on my credit card.He said he has a tape recording of his wife saying that he had paid me this money back. can this be used as evidence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is the relevance of his wife saying he paid you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he had a conversation saying he had paid me money. The couple owed me money for other debts before the bailiffs bill. They split shortly after I paid the bailiffs money. She is willing to pay off the first dept of £500 but he them owes me for the bailiffs money. During the conversion he said "You know I paid her that money back" she replied "yes", thinking he was talking about the original bill. He says he is going to use this in court as her saying he paid the bailiffs bill. Can phone conversations like this be used in court.? I have bank statements and receipt for the money they owe me. I live in the Wigan area.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

He can try to use it if he wants to.

It really doesn't prove anything at all. One wonders why he was recording it anyway given the circumstances.

I wouldn't worry about that defeating your claim.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If she paid you then she can produce a record of that. That will interest the court. Her claims that she has done so will not.