Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I currently live with my X partner. We had been a couple

I currently live with my X partner. We had been a couple since 2000. In 2001 we had a Motorbike accident. I received a head injury, which has left me with similar symptoms to a stroke victim. I have lost the use of my right side, can not walk and have a speech disorder.
We bought this Bungalow when I got out of hospital, a year after the accident in 2002.
We have lived here as a couple until last month. When she announced that she was leaving me. Due to my head injury she decided that it would probably be better if the house just went into her name. I put £50,000 in.
What I would like to ask is :-
Can I expect her to sell the property ? And what monies could I ask for from the sale ?
I have just had it valued at £225,000.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Are/were you married to each other?

-Is the property in joint names on title, if so is it as joint tenants or tenants in common?

-Do you have children together, if so how old?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England
Never married each other
Just in her name. We own it outright.
No children
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry SHE owns it outright
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Are there any deeds of trust or formal agreements regarding your contributions, or if not what was the intention at the time of contributing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing in writing as I thought I could trust her !
I put the money in as I was trying to help.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Given that you are not married, the property is in her sole name and there are no formal agreements in place, unfortunately the legal position is that she is solely entitled to the property and the proceeds of sale.

However, given your substantial contribution of £50,000 you would be in a position to consider an application to your local county court using form N1 and a £355 court fee for the court to decide whether you should be entitled to a share of the property due to your contribution. You will need to demonstrate that there was an intention that, despite not being named on the title, that you would be entitled to a share or be compensated for your contributions.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.