How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9181
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have had my apartment forcibly entered by the police in

Customer Question

I have had my apartment forcibly entered by the police in response to a complaint of water leaking into the apartment below,what are my rights,thanks Jonny
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

Was water leaking into the flat below from your flat? What do you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi ,water was leaking from my daughters flat to the property below, she was contacted by the management company but was abroad, by the time her plumber arrived later that day, the police had been called and forcibly broke in turning the water off and leaving the front door to the property in a wrecked condition, with poor security as they secured with a padlock and haps ,there will be a cost to replace the front door of approx. £1000, do the police have the right to take this action without contacting her I am not sure whether it was the management company or the tenants below who contacted the police,regards Jonny
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

Did the plumber have a key?

Had your daughter told the management company who had the key to get access?

What was the extent of the leak?

If the police had contacted her, what would she have done?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The plumber had access to a key ,the management company were aware of this,as the water was turned off and the police had padlocked the door with a lock that the plumber had no key for I cant comment as to the issue of the water leak as we have only managed to gain access this afternoon !
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the police had contacted my daughter ,she would have informed them that a plumber had been called out,thanks jonny
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

There is a code of practice with regard to police powers of entry published by the government.

if you turn to paragraph 10 point it does say that the power should only be used and should be proportionate and only with authority unless it’s required urgently to protect life or property from harm.

Depending on the extent of the leak, that may be satisfied. If it was a drip, it is unlikely to be satisfied. If it was running water, then it is.

It is also likely, depending on the reason for the leak, that it is going to be your daughter who is going to be responsible for the damage and repairs to the property below , which could have been more serious had everyone waited for the plumber to arrive.

Until you know the extent of the leak which will be visible depending on the damage the downstairs flat, it’s impossible to say whether the police acted reasonably or not.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice