31090051

Can you help, please? I live in Scotland, and have an

Hello! Can you help, please?
I live in Scotland, and have an ongoing problem with a persistent local hacker, who has:
* set up a sub-account to my main email, such that he can see all email traffic through the account.
* Using this sub-account, and previously used credit card details, made a purchase, for which I was charged, but subsequently obtained a refund, when the service provider was able to verify that I don't use their service. I replaced the credit card.
* Through the use of "updates" sent to my computers, print has been redirected.
USB sockets have, at times been disabled, preventing files from being saved externally.
One particular cashbook file, which I maintain as treasurer for a local charity, which at the time I had three copies of, was modified in all three locations with a file two months out of date: with I file I had attached to an email two months earlier.
I believe my emails have been overseen since September 2015;
Unauthorised access to my computer was first achieved in March 2016, at which time, files were set back by two months. (Interestingly though, Excel faithfully confirmed the timestamp given why I had last updated the file.)
I've spent a lot of time reinstalling and setting up Windows. I've had to keep my personal and charity files on memory sticks, rather than computers, which though safer is inconvenient.
I've had to work at night in order to get thing sorted whilst the hacker sleeps, and yes, he is a local man. I've even had occasion in the past, to call upon his professional services.
The hacker has now taken to working at night, because I do.
I have router and events log evidence of intrusions and attempts at gaining access.
Please, I'm tired, fed up; it's even costing me in lost Job Seeker's Allowance, because I can't job search safely in the way I ought to be able.
Please, is there someone you can recommend that can check what I have; run tests and advise how to sort the problem.
As if this were not enough, this hacker, through the use of Wi-Fi, has even modified my smart television's factory settings, so it only lists nine channels, and of course, all of them are "HD" high definition channels which, subject to deliberate interference, flash the picture on and off. I can't even watch the news!
I've had to go back to using a basic television - without Wi-Fi - and it works!!
which proves the aerial is set correctly and the signal booster works. Thank goodness for "old" technology.
I shall appreciate any assistance you may be able to offer.
Thank you for your time, which you can be sure will be appreciated.
Clive
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Hacking is a criminal offence. Have you reported this to the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JGM, I have reported this to the police, twice, and was told there was nothing they could do, as no crime had been committed. That was their response to my informing them my credit card had been used to pay Amazon for a subscription to their television service. No crime was committed they said, because I had been able to recover the money from Amazon, who apologised for having been misled by the close approximation for my usual email address used by the hacker to place the order. (It was a month after the purchase before the debit reached my MasterCard Account.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reason to believe my telephone calls are monitored and one call certainly, to the company that supplied a better router, was cut off, as though the hacker was waiting to pounce on the connection. This happened less than a minute after my telephone & broadband provider had reinstated my landline for the second time that day. I could call, but the call might be overheard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a dedicated police department to whom I ought to report what's been happening, as opposed to my local police station?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Yes you should report to the computer fraud officer at your nearest large police station. No point in reporting to the smaller police stations as they're not set up to deal with matters of this importance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back in March 2016, following the hacking, I rang the IT professional I'd called upon a few times before, to visit, as a computer was reporting an error when I connected a memory stick to one of its USB sockets. The computer recommended that I have the drive scanned. Upon his arrival, the visitor put memory sticks of his own into those sockets that had reported the error, an without an explanation. A second computer's keyboard he tapped away at, again, without explanation, though he was talking, with an unfamiliar Scots dialect. After, he asked whether I wanted to use Wi-Fi, and I told him that I DIDN'T. He proceeded to turn the router round and keyed the Wi-Fi code into the computer. Following this, I had to ask him to leave, which he did, in silence. I have no photographic evidence and no audio recording of the encounter, but it left me in no doubt I had allowed the hacker into my home, where he proceeded to cover his tracks. There was no-one else in my home at the time, and of course I've long since had to reinstall Windows. Presume it would be my word against his?Have been advised you are currently unable to take / make a call, and I haven't been charged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realise you're probably much in demand, so this is just to say I'm still here.
Don't know whether you'll have time to get back to me this evening, but I am still interested in having a chat with you for advice.
If you find I have gone "off line", you have my landline number and your system has the card details to charge for the call. I'll look forward to hearing from you, but for now, I'll remain online.Thank you for your time and assistance, which are appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have contacted large police station, appointment obtained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Signing off for today.