29905560

What are my legal rights of a stage act i made and used for

what are my legal rights of a stage act i made and used for almost 20years now being used exactly as i done it without my ok?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello can you please provide some more details of what the act involves?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben yeah sure. I was a male stripper for over twenty years and still am part of the industry, these days training new lads. The piece i am on about was a section from a comedy strip routine i have performed for many years on stage and screen. I have performed this section many times on T.V plus had well over a million views on various internet sites. It basically consists of me and a cloth piano,and I play it or rather pretend to play it with,,, not my hands if that makes sense,, me being a stripper! I know I probably don't have any rights its just a niggle as its being used and done really badly yet I've never been asked if it would be ok too use?
Richard Soper
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for explaining. I can’t say I remember seeing this particular act online but then again I wouldn’t have gone looking for it personally…need to ask my other half in case she has though :)

Anyway, going back to the legal position, which I can completely understand your frustration with this, sadly you will get little protection in law. Whilst you do get certain protection in law for original ideas, it is not so much the actions themselves that are protected but the ideas behind them and the names that accompany them. So if you had a manual explaining how to do this trick and someone had copied it and started distributing it as their own, that would be a breach of copyright. Also if you had a specific name for the routine and it was trademarked, others could not use that when performing a similar act. But the act itself, the movements, actions or the idea itself will not be protected. Look at ***** *****’s Moonwalk for example. We all know this was ‘his’ act, yet thousands tried to recreate it and used it in all sorts of different circumstances. He could not have stopped them from going on stage and walking backwards, trying to ‘moonwalk’. However, I presume that the term ‘moonwalk’ was in some way protected by him so its use, as a term, may have been restricted. It is inevitable that in the artistic industry thee will be attempts at ripping off other peoples acts and that can often happen without any repercussions as long as no specific copyright or trademarks are infringed in the process. So try to ignore those who are trying to copy this act, as you have identified it is done poorly so at least you and others know that you had the original.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you