29905560

I recently posted on social media on a closed page about a

Hi I recently posted on social media on a closed page about a job advert that the advertiser will accrue a debt with you and only pay you part of what your owed and warned other members In the group I realised I was wrong and took the post down but the statement is true and have willing people who advertiser has done this to and he is now hassling my employer to devulge my personal information about me and trying to stir things up at my current employment whilst threatening action where do I stand
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello what personal informarion exactly are they threatening to divulge and what action are they trying to take?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My employer is threatening to devulge any information but the person I wrote the statement is hassling my employer for full name telephone and where I live my employer has said no as its confidential and that the matter has nothing to do with them the action the person is threatening is to sue me for defamation
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry my employer isn't threatening to devulge any personal info but the person I wrote the post about is hassling them for it

Thank you. Whilst there is nothing stopping them from asking your employer for your information, they should not disclose that because it would amount to a breach of data protection. So the employer should keep such data confidential.

In terms of defamation, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:

1. The statement has to be untrue.
2. It must directly identify the complainant.
3. It must have been published, usually communicated to at least another person.
4. It must be in a form of words, which would tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of ‘right thinking members of society generally', expose the claimant to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.
5. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant.

Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has occurred, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is extremely complex and expensive. As this goes through the High Court, you would need the professional help of specialist defamation solicitors and the costs are undoubtedly going to run into the thousands right at the outset. Also there is no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally. So when you hear about defamation claims being made, these are usually pursued by big corporations or celebrities who have a public image to protect.

You must also consider whether you can defend the claim. Even if they satisfy the criteria to prove the statement was defamatory it could be defended on a number of grounds, including by providing evidence that the statement was substantially true or an honest opinion. You have evidence to back up what you wrote and even if they do not like it and it has affected their business, if it was true, there would be no defamation.

So do not overly worry about this – I think they are probably annoyed (understandably so) but do not get too concerned with what they can do or are threatening to do because realistically that will unlikely happen.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Many thanks for your advice

You are welcome, all the best