12826847

An 83 year old friend bought a Hotpoint washing machine

Customer Question

An 83 year old friend bought a Hotpoint washing machine three years ago. He was persuaded by the shop to buy it with four year insurance policy. Earlier this year it broke down. He has, with extreme difficulty contacted the insurance company who have sent three engineers at two week intervals and failed to repair the machine. It appears the part required may be obsolete. He has kept the shop concerned informed.
His wife aged 80 is doing their washing by hand and I am concerned about her.
Is he within his rights to ask the shop to refund the cost or to replace the machine? Or must he battle with the insurance company who frequently cut him off after he waits on the phone for 20 minutes. He is a proud person and will not let me act on his behalf but has agreed I may ask for your advice.
I would be most grateful for your help.
Elizabeth Fergusson church Cottage Staverton DEVON
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Has your friend approached the shop where he bought from regarding the issue he has been having?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - has your friend approached the shop where he bought from regarding the issue he has been having?