13262538

I am helping an executor to administer an estate (in

Hello, I am helping an executor to administer an estate (in England) following a bereavement. We are nearly at the end of the process (probate granted, house sold, debts paid etc) and have drafted the estate accounts.
UK government advice says that "After this you can prepare the estate accounts. These must be approved and signed by you and the main beneficiaries."
Can you guide me to the relevant legislation that says the accounts must be signed off by the main beneficiaries? How long should we allow for them to do this? And what route can we take if they do not respond to requests to sign off?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

It is sensible to get them signed off as it protects the Executor.

However you can send them out, ask for a copy to be signed and returned, but also say that if no objections are received within three weeks then you will assume that they are approved.

Another option is to say that you will only send the money when you have the signed accounts.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As per original question, "Can you guide me to the relevant legislation that says the accounts must be signed off by the main beneficiaries?"
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

They don't.

They have to be sent to the Residuary beneficiaries but the signing off is to protect the Executor from future accustaions