75100385

Are there any laws relating to the siting of bee colonies

Are there any laws relating to the siting of bee colonies regarding rights of way or even on private land regarding trespassers?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I keep bees and want to know if there are any laws I should be aware of and can read up on that relate to the position of bee hives to public rights of way? Will this reply cost more?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

No its a one off fee. To be clear will you have permission from the landowner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've permission and am also owner of one of the sites
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - then the only thing you need to worry about is how close they are sighted to where people walk.

If they sting, you could potentially be sued, but being a member of a Bee Keeping Association you should have insurance.

But that is it - permission of the Land Owner and whether or not they sting anyone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there isn't any legislation that relates to this specifically? Proximity to rights of way or signage aren't ruled on?We have insurance but ideally we'd just like to stay out of trouble.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there legal guidance on proximity to pathways?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

No law on this.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks,Just wanted to check that we weren't missing anything, or not complying with any legislation.We had a dog killed yesterday by a colony and although they were trespassing and had been told by the land owner that they were off the right of way I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Have to wait and see if they take it any further now.Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sure. That's sad about the dog.

Can I clarify anything else? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
indeed very sad.I don't think so as it seems this is an unregulated area maybe? Is there legislation that could be pressed into service that relates to other livestock that could interfere with people on a footpath?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

No, it comes under the Tort of negligence so technically it still is law.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.