Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Horse sold and buyers now want to return as gone lame and

Horse sold and buyers now want to return as gone lame and vet suspects arthritis. We have had the horse 18mths and she was rode at least 4 times per week and never had an issue with lameness, the only issue we have had is she had to be sedated to be shod, we bought her knowing this and when sold her we made the buyers aware. The buyers viewed her and 3 people rode her before agreeing the sale. They have now come.back and said she is lame and the vet suspects arthritis and they want to return her which they say they can within 14 days for a full refund. Where do i stand?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I take it that you are a private seller and not a trader? I also take it that the Buyer didn't have the horse vetted before they bought? Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Private seller and no the buyers did not get her vetted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they had wanted to that would have been no problem.

Thanks. Well, they certainly aren't legally entitled to a refund. As it was a private sale it is a case of 2Let the Buyer beware" in that they bought the horse in its existing condition. They should really have had the horse vetted before they bought. So, stand firm and tell them that they will not be getting any refund. I hope this clarifies the legal position. If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

PS should have said "let the Buyer beware"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks! Al