Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughter has been asked to leave her rented property

My daughter has been asked to leave her rented property because she was behind with the rent. She has found alternative accommodation which she was moving into today. Yesterday her old landlord changed the locks and would not allow access for her to move her personal belongings such as clothes etc. She has 3 children, one is under 5 and also cats which she could not get access to to feed. She arranged to move today, but the landlord is refusing to let her into the house to move anything. She and her family only have the clothes they stand in since Friday lunchtime. Does he legally have to allow entry to remove her belongings?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a notice of eviction, or warrant, by a court that led to her moving out? If not, was it a voluntary move out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her tenancy expired on July 31st. She informed the landlord that she had new accommodation from 6/8/16. No warrant or court notice has been issued.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Was there any formal notice to quit from either of them to the other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a hand written note which as advised by the council did not give the required notice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter wishes to move today but cannot get access to her personal belongings. Is the land lord acting illegally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter wishes to move today, but cannot get access to her or her childrens personal belongings
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Given that there has been no formal eviction process he is illegally evicting her and this is a criminal offence. Your daughter should contact him and inform him that he must allow her access to the property and put him on notice that she will contact the local council tenancy relations office (or housing office) who can assist her with this. She would also be entitled to contact the police on 111 and inform them that she is not being allowed back to the property. What your landlord is doing is a criminal offence under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977.