75100385

A lady ran out in front of my son on friday. he ran her toes

Customer Question

a lady ran out in front of my son on friday. he ran her toes over and took her to hospital but didn't leave his details. The police arrived at 2am today and we think the lady has died. do we need to have a solicitor when we talk to them tomorrow?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what is likely to happen?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did he call the Police or report the accident please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Alex,He didn't report it to the police although we now realise he should have done. He took her to the hospital but the lady said he should go and she would be okay. He has now been interviewed in his house and been told he just has to wait to see if there are charges.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

I think you should be ok.

If it was the case that someone just ran out, then it was just an accident. I am assuming your son was not distracted, ie on the phone or anything.

So if it was the case she just stepped out and didnt look, its not your sons fault.

Clearly this will need investigating as there has been a death.

But based on what you have said I do not think there is an issue.

No, you dont need a Solicitor when you talk to them if you dont want to. He may choose to do so, but doesnt need one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When the police arrived at the house it was 2am and they woke me up looking for my son who wasn't home. I asked if the lady was okay and they said 'we wouldn't be here if she was' and if I asked if she was dead. To which they answered 'we cannot disclose that to you at this time'. I assumed that she had died but in fact she had not. She may have to have her foot amputated though.
Is my son likely to be prosecuted for not ringing the police and if so what are the consequences?He was not distracted/speeding/intoxicated but the police did say he may possibly be charged with 'careless driving'. I don't see on what grounds but could you clarify?Thanks, debbie
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

He has a legal responsibility to report an accident as soon as possible or in any event within 24 hours. If not, can be prosecuted for failure to report.

Careless driving is where the standards fall below that of a reasonable and prudent driver.

There of course would have to be evidence for this. If there was none, then a charge should not follow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you; That reassures me about rhe careless driving.Is it likely that he will be prosecuted for failing to report? Who decides and what could the outcome be?Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

The CPS make that decision.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I answered and rated Alex.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Thanks!