12826847

I have ordered a kitchen paid a £4,400.00 deposit. We are

Customer Question

I have ordered a kitchen paid a £4,400.00 deposit .
We are passed the 14 days Collins period but due to unforeseen circumstances would like to cancel this order.
Fitting isn't due to happen until November 2016 . I am aware that we will loose the deposit but want to know can the kitchen company charge us to anything else?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Have they made any of the goods?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I am aware off.
The surveyor came out to our property check the final measurements last Monday 1st August.
But due to works that need to be completed in the property we advised we didn't want fitting to be until the second week in November.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They can only claim any extra if they have actually suffered loss which, in this case, would involve making the goods to your specification and so rendering the items useless elsewhere.

it is very unlikely that has happened so I would not worry although the sooner you tell them the better.

I would also inform everybody in writing as soon as possible as they cannot deny receipt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that sounds ok.
We are going to call tomorrow to cancel and the. Follow up with a registered letter. But I was just concerned that they may say we couldn't get out of this contract.
I may be back tomorrow if I need any further advice.
It is/been a very expensive lesson and I am hoping not to incur anymore costs!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, they probably will.

The question though is how much is due. You cannot lawfully cancel but they can only claim the sum of their loss.