12826847

I am very worried. This evening on the motorway I saw a sign

Customer Question

I am very worried. This evening on the motorway I saw a sign that I have never seen before, a red X overhead on (I think) 3 or 4 of the lanes. The inside lane was where people were turning off on a Junction - stupidly I assumed they were wanting to turn there, but they were probably just obeying the red Xs, now that I have learned on the internet they mean 'do not proceed'. It was a split second decision, and I don't think I could have got into the inside 'legal' lane anyway, as it was very congested. The red X signs were due to a car on fire on the hard shoulder, it turns out - an incident. But several lorries and cars went into the extreme right (overtaking) lane, under the red X, and safely/slowly passed the incident. Due to my lack of understanding, I just followed the others, but I now see that I could have broken the law. Will I be getting a prosecution notice in the post? If so, do I have any defence? I thought I knew all road traffic signs on motorways, but this was a new one on me. Lorry drivers should surely know - why did they carry on? I just followed them. I do not know when the lights came on. Must have been not long before, as there were no cones or any other instruction signs.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?