13262538

My grandson has had to start spending half of his school

Customer Question

My grandson has had to start spending half of his school holidays with his father, with whom he has only a very tentative bond. At the original court hearing, Cafcass recommended a very gradual re-introduction after the father's 2-year absence with no contact at all. The 43-year old father lives with his domineering mother and has always been bullied by his sister, and we believe it is these women who insisted on contact, although we have always believed the child, now 6, should eventually get to know his father.
My daughter was summoned back to court because his father wanted more access than originally agreed with Cafcass. This time the case was heard by a Circuit Judge, not a Family Court Judge. He was angry that the case was back in court - it could have been resolved by discussion - and ruled that the child should spend 50% of weekends and holidays with the father. This was near to school summer holidays, and the child had to spend the first whole week with the father.
He came home a very angry and restless child. He has had a week with his mother and is now back with his father, 40 miles away, for 2 weeks. He made it very clear he didn't want to go. This is traumatic and distressing for us all - and Cafcass have been ignored. They cannot be approached because it's not an ongoing case. This is bordering on child cruelty, and we feel powerless. Our daughter is now on antidepressants.
We would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

When was the first hearing and how did contact start then?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
First hearing was Oct/Nov 2015. Contact was initially fortnightly at my house (I being grandmother, father refused to go to mother's house or contact centre) then subsequently, after court hearing, weekly for 2-3 hrs. at mothers house. Total number of meetings about 12 but child never mentioned father of his own free will.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Sorry - it went from three hours a week to overnight?

Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Are you aware that the site charges extra for a phone call?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry but I did not get the message last night that Clare was unable to phone. I should like to continue our conversation either way when Clare is next available. How should I proceed please?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

I will be available at lunch time if that is ok?