How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10525
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am an EU citizen. I live in the UK since exactly 5 years,

Resolved Question:

I am an EU citizen.
I live in the UK since exactly 5 years, so I am entitled to request a permanent resident card (
My question is: Assuming the Brexit negotiations will lead to the UK losing access to the single market - if I leave the UK, will the permanent resident card give me automatically the right to return to the UK in the future?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. No, the Permanent Residence Card will not give you the right to return to the UK should the UK LEAVE the EU. Instead, you will have to either apply for citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain in order that you may return to the Uk.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply- very informative. Just another point about it and I'll rate it: I just read that the indefinite leave to remain (ILR) would expire after two years of residence abroad. In that case (in normal circumstances) would I be entitled to reapply and obtain ILR again, should I wish to return to the UK later?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

3. You could apply again later. However, you would once again have to spend the necessary five years continuous residence in the UK before you could apply for Indefinite Leave to remain. I would suggest that you instead seek dual UK citizenship with your own nationality. That avoids the need to reapply.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you