Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am an EU citizen. I live in the UK since exactly 5 years,

I am an EU citizen.
I live in the UK since exactly 5 years, so I am entitled to request a permanent resident card (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-document-certifying-permanent-residence-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr).
My question is: Assuming the Brexit negotiations will lead to the UK losing access to the single market - if I leave the UK, will the permanent resident card give me automatically the right to return to the UK in the future?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. No, the Permanent Residence Card will not give you the right to return to the UK should the UK LEAVE the EU. Instead, you will have to either apply for citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain in order that you may return to the Uk.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply- very informative. Just another point about it and I'll rate it: I just read that the indefinite leave to remain (ILR) would expire after two years of residence abroad. In that case (in normal circumstances) would I be entitled to reapply and obtain ILR again, should I wish to return to the UK later?

3. You could apply again later. However, you would once again have to spend the necessary five years continuous residence in the UK before you could apply for Indefinite Leave to remain. I would suggest that you instead seek dual UK citizenship with your own nationality. That avoids the need to reapply.