F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Do my boss have a right deduct anything from my salary /?i

do my boss have a right deduct anything from my salary /?i have nothing on the papers .am self employed for the same company for 6 yers
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

It depends whether you want a few lines or whether you want a really robust letter.

If you really want a robust letter, I can give you exactly the wording for that, in the strongest terms, but there is an extra cost.

I can do a few lines for you to insert in your letter on this thread.

It really depends on how firm and threatening you want to be with them.

I don’t know what the payment terms were or how much is already overdue. It seems the agreement was to finish in December 2016

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i just want to know do she have right ore not

I apologise for the previous post. It was meant for another thread.

Can we have the background to what’s been deducted and why please? The general rule is that employers cannot deduct anything from salary as it is an unlawful deduction from wages but, you say that you’re self-employed so I need to know the background please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
am dressmaker my boss deduct 2000 from my salary and blame me for mistakes what she dan

If you have worked for the same company for 6 years the chances are that you are not really self-employed but are employed and that the employer is simply saying that your self-employed to avoid paying your National Insurance and dealing with your tax.

That would be a matter for you to refer to HMRC

An employer cannot make deductions from salary without your consent and if you don’t have a contract, apart from the fact that you are entitled to a contract on request, if the employer refuses to let you have this money, then you can take the employer either to the Employment Tribunal or Small Claims Court.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you so much

I am pleased to have helped.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.

FES