Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Mother has been in residential care for a year and the

Customer Question

Mother has been in residential care for a year and the Company has proposed an increase of weekly fees from £125 a week to £175 we disputed this huge increase as she only has state pension of £151 a week.
The room she has is one of 6 new rooms just opened when she went into care (she was only offered one of the new rooms) which have en-suite facilities. The home owners now say these rooms were meant for private funded people and since Ada is funded mostly by local authority she has to pay this increase.
We disputed the amount and when the invoice arrived for the first increased month the amount had been reduced to £155 still more than she actually receives as a pension.
Can we do anything about these increases.
Avril Currie
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Dear Avril

Firstly speak to the local authority and see if they are willing to increase the amount allowed for the room.

If the answer is, as I suspect, no you can decide to enter into a top up agreement with the home and pay the difference between what the council are willing to pay and the homes fee.

Otherwise the local authority will have to find a home which is more affordable in terms of the funding they are willing to provide and Ada's financial position.

I am afraid it is a tough time to be both a council and a nursing home. Councils are seeing government funding to be cut to zero in the next few years and nursing homes are going out of business at an alarming rate.

Best regards

Michael