13262538

My father has recently passed away Jan 2016 and in his will

My father has recently passed away Jan 2016 and in his will with the exception of a specific equal amount of money to his 2 grandchildren, has left everything to myself and my sister equally split, which includes money and the house he owned when he died. Our mother died in 2001, my understanding at the time was that everything passed to our father that was owned by her, at the time the property they lived in was owned and had no mortgage and my father has/had the “title absolute”, at that point they also had little or no savings, we did not see her Will and we have just requested a copy of her Will. Our mother had a son from a previous relationship who was already an adult when she started a relationship with our father and her son has never lived with them or been financially dependent on them since they got together, they married in 1974 and lived together until 2001. (myself and my sister where born 1980 / 1977)
We have had/little or contact with our mothers son for at least the last 20 years if not longer and he has now contacted us asking what we are doing with his % of things.
It is not to say we would not share a % with him but want to know where we stand
Is he legally entitled to anything? Does that depend on what is my mothers will? He as not been named in or referred to our fathers will?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Whose name is ***** ***** the title deeds of the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Fathers name, probate was granted on 01/06/2016 and process of transfer to myself and sister has not happened yet
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If the property is now in your late father's name then your step brother has no claim upon it.

You have no need to account to him for anything.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details