How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9028
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My father let me build a house attached to his effectively a

Customer Question

My father let me build a house attached to his effectively a semi detached, my sister lives with him in one half and I live in the half I built. There has been no legal separation or boundaries etc all I have is the panning permission for my house. I have found out while I was on holiday my dad and sister have effectively put the "house in trust" my father said its separated that I will get my part and my sister hers. My problem is how can it be in trust as separate houses if its not legally separated ie land registry also my house s worth 30/40% more than her half as the one I built is bigger does this mean as its not separated with the land registry that the trust is for the plot as a total and there fore would be 50% each of the value of the pair of houses ??
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

Is this a separate trust deed or is it some kind of trust which they have registered at the land registry?

Do you have details of the trust?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HI as far as I know its not registered with the land registry as it stands once i built my house my father wanted no fences to divide up the garden so it remained open and unchanged. We agreed the boundaries but I'm want to start the land registry change showing the divisions. as far as I know its a simple basic trust simply detailing my house to me and the other to mysister
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

Is very difficult to advise without seeing the document.

What needs to happen now is that there needs to be a Transfer of Part transferring your half of the house to you and registering it on a different title.

It’s quite a straightforward job for a conveyancing solicitor although it becomes a bit more complicated if there are rights-of-way and rights for services which need to be created by way of easements.

There are no rights-of-way or services that need creating, you are probably talking £600 plus VAT plus disbursements. If there are rights-of-way and easements for services that needs creating, you could be looking at double or treble that.

Everyday work for a conveyancing solicitor. Of course, your father needs to agree to this otherwise you have a court battle to get the property that you built, transferred into your name or more likely, get your money out of the house if your father wants to hang onto it.

It is too late now, but this should have been sorted long before you actually started the build.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice