Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I married my ex-husband in in a registry office then we got

Customer Question

I married my ex-husband in Dublin in a registry office then we got married in London in our Catholic church. Sadly the marriage ended and I received the Decree Absolute some either May or June. Does this also dissolve the marriage in Dublin or do I need to go through the whole process again? I also obtained a Consent Order in London; will this also cover Dublin?
Sarah
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your marriage. A divorce obtained in England, as well as a consent order ratified by an English court will be recognised in Ireland and you are entitled to submit a D180 form to the English family court to ensure its recognition in Ireland. The form is here:http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/d180-eng.pdf

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

Fot clarity there is no requirement to use a D18 form in either the Uk or Eire.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. An English consent divorce decree will be recognised in Ireland. You dont need to go through the whole process again, nor do you need to take any further step to have the Irish marriage dissolved. This is because the Irish courts automatically recognise an English decree of divorce as dissolving the Irish marriage. Recognition of an English divorce decree occurs in Ireland without any further step being needed.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. So you don't need to go through the whole process again, nor do you need to take any further step. Under Irish law, the English divorce is sufficient to dissolve the marriage and bring all things to an end. You don't need to file any forms with the court in Ireland. This is because the Irish courts automatically recognise the English divorce as dissolving the marriage.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.