Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband has just left the family home for good two weeks

My husband has just left the family home for good two weeks after our youngest daughter was eighteen. As she is due to go to university in September and be in full time education, is he still financially responsible for her in any way?
She needs chiropractic treatment for a locked jaw joint and I will need him to help pay after her allowance on my medical insurance runs out
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Have you divorced, if so when?

-Is there a financial agreement in place?

-What is your income and asset position?

-What is his income and asset position?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No we haven't divorced. He said he was leaving me on 10th June and moved out on 4th July this year. There is no financial agreement in place. Our children live in the family home with me but they are 18 and 20. I am a teacher and earn £35000 and he is a prison officer and earns £31000. He was removed from our joint account and makes no contribution to our household at all. I don't know what you mean by asset postion. I am living in our mortgaged home and he is renting another property until I get organised and hopefully buy him out. But I just need to know if I am legal allowed to ask him to contribute for Ashleigh as she is not working as due to start her nursing course next month
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. Specifically in relation to him contributing towards your youngest daughter, as she is going to university and there is no court order for him to provide child maintenance for this he does not have to contribute.

However, if she cannot meet her reasonable needs in university she can apply to court herself for him to provide maintenance directly to her.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.