75100385

I reported damage in the ceiling to my landlady in February.

Customer Question

I reported damage in the ceiling to my landlady in February. She did nothing about it because she claims I am a visitor here, as my mum is the one paying rent for the whole property. I am home now on school holiday and that damage expanded, leading to a leak. One night it rained really heavily and my laptop got damaged because of it. She claims it is not her fault? What are my rights?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

For now please let me know what the cost of repair is please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around £400 as i had my laptop reviewed and its beyond being fixed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of that £400 within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.