29905560

I am working for the last 4 weeks as a Locum Consultant

I am working for the last 4 weeks as a Locum Consultant Physician, employed through one of Locum Agencies. Since commencement I am facing different reality to that I was expecting before commencement. Upon my arrival I was informed that for cost of travelling between Hospitals (I am working in 2 different Hospitals) I will need to pay on my own as Hospital is not reimbrusing expenses to Locum doctors. I was not informed about these additional costs by My Agency. I am involved in on calls. So far I had 3 days of on call and today I was informed that there is Hospital policy in situ that thay are paying out of hours.... only 50% of my hourly rate. I am very frustrated as I was also not informed about these conditions before commencement. I reviewed once again my contract and there are no details in it regarding the above. My question is if they should have informed me about all these additional costs for me before commencement. It is my first Locum post and I have no experiences but I feel I have been used by them...
Please advise
Kind regdrs
Joanna
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. There is no automatic right to be paid for such travel costs and the employer can choose to reimburse you fully or partly at their own discretion. The position is that if no mention was made of such rights, you will simply not be entitled to reimbursement. So legally they have not done anything wrong by not including them or by not mentioning this before you started – the assumption is that you cover these unless you are told otherwise. Whilst there may have been a moral argument that they should have highlighted this, it is only a moral issue, not a legal one.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you