75100385

I never signed any contract with British Gas. My name was

I never signed any contract with British Gas. My name was used without my approval. Once I opened the door for a British Gas employee he wanted to write down the meter readings for the house. I find out about ,,my" outstanding balance (more than £3000!!!!) on the beginning of December 2015. I only became aware of this when I checked my credit file recently. If I hadnt opened an account with Experian Credit Expert I might never have found out about this! I'm devastated.
I have called the Costumer Service the same day when I found out about it. I spent around 1h or even more on the phone. I spoke with few departments. They dont have my new adress, email, phone number or even date of birth, im not going to mention bank details completely nothing just name and misspelled surname. So they couldnt even contact me after I left this house the only thing they told me was : I have to pay this bill. Why I should be charged for all the people living in house? It was a shared house ( 9ppl ) and I just rented a room there. I was living there since May 2013 till end of February 2015. I don't have a tenancy agreement - I know that makes it more difficult. And the council bought that property on May 2015.
I have already contacted Ombudsman Service but they agreed with British Gas's decision. They said its a third party dispute.
Is there any chance I can win this or should agree with this decision?
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
163;3300 to pay for one person just renting one room is far too much. They can't just put it all on me and tell me is third party dispute - I have to pay. I don't mind paying for myself but for everything? And I'm the one contacted them when I found out about this.
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

Are you not wanting to pay this or challenge it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have already wrote complain to British Gas and to Ombudsman and both said the same - third party dispute. So I don't know what to do with it anymore. Obviously I don't want to pay that much money (I was just a tenant ) so if could be possible to don't pay that's great but if I have to pay some part of it is fine. I just want to fix this situation because this destroyed my credit report that's how I found out about this oustanding balance - I had to open an account on Experian Credit Expert.
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

Why was it in your name from BG?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Once I opened the door for a British Gas employee he wanted to write down the meter readings for the house. And they used it after it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I moved out on the end of February 15. Account is closed on May 15. And I found out about this on December 15. I have called the Costumer Service the same day when I found out about it. I spent around 1h or even more on the phone. I spoke with few departments. They dont have my new adress, email, phone number or even date of birth, im not going to mention bank details completely nothing just name and misspelled surname. After I wrote the complain to BG and when they said everything is correct and I have to pay I have contacted Ombudsman but they said they can make their decison on the evidence only so answer I heard third party dispute.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any chance hiring a lawyer could help me or is pointless ?
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

It will be hard, very hard. You can only challenge the decision of the Ombudsman through the High Court with a Judicial Review.

Even there the Judge has to find that the Ombudsman have either illegally or come to an unreasonable decision. This is an expensive process and can cost many thousands.

The alternative of course is that you let BG try and take you to Court. Then it would be for BG to show you owe the money. As the claim is for under £10,000 it would be a small claim so you dont need to worry about expensive legal fees if you lose.

But these are your only options. The cheapest is the second (small claim), but BG will produce the finding of the Ombudsman.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
basically is nothing I can do about this..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could you explain me second option. Should I contact BG about this ? How much hiring a lawyer would cost me in this process.
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

You would let them try and sue you, then you go before a Judge.

If you hire a lawyer it would be about £150 an hour and would probably exceed the sums claimed.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you. Is there a chance I can win it? Without tenancy agreement? I don't have so many evidence. And if they said is third party dispute. What I can do about this before Judge... Is there a chance it could be less amount than is now? I'm sorry for so many questions but this is a lot of money to pay for one person.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like to have as much information as I can before making decision. Thank you for your time
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

There is a chance you could win - but Court is not guaranteed.

The fact you have the Ombudsman decision against you clearly is an issue for your case.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank u for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry I just rated you now. Can u just tell me what about back billing ?